Friday, January 25, 2013

My Birthday Gift

I had the wonderful experience of spending my birthday at Disneyland. That in and of itself made it a special day. A few months ago, I saw this blog post. I was planning on doing something similar for my birthday, but it didn't work out with being at Disneyland.
So I decided that instead of doing all of those things in one day, I'm going to try to do the following things over the course of the next 36 days. I'm not doing them in any particular order, just what I feel like needs to be done that day. Here is my list, but it is subject to change :)


Random Acts of Kindness

1. Mailman package
2. Firefighter treats
3. Assisted living visit - hand made cards.
4. Flowers to the hospital
5. Homemade coloring books and crayons in waiting rooms
6. Change in the vending machine
7. Treats for mechanic
8. Food pantry
9. Books for needy children
10. Notes to church leader
11. Treats for librarian
12. Collect carts at a store
13. Presents to random children at a park
14. Send a note to a missionary/ military person
15. Hiding dollars in toy aisle of Dollar tree
16. Buy something from dollar store to give to someone
17. Buy a book to pass along
18. Read a book to a child
19. Be a personal shopper for someone
20.  Treat someone to lunch
21. Leave a gift for the server
22. Mail out some coupons with a note.
23.  Leave diaper and wipes on a changing table
24. Run an errand for someone
25. Pick up trash
26. Leave a smile
27. Pass out silly bandz to random kids.
28.  Drive nice
29.  Donate to good will
30. Let someone in front of you in the line.
31. Give a care package to a homeless person
32. Spend time playing with your children.
33. Call a friend just to talk
34. Mail your neighbor a thank you card
35. Make dinner for someone just because
36. Pay for the car behind you at the drive thru
I have some other ideas as well, but am planning on making it through this list first.
Today was my first day at it. Today I did number 31. I keep a stash of "homeless" care packages in my van. When ever I see someone with a sign, I try to give them one. It is neat way to help someone who is in need without giving them money. It is also neat to see my children help me "find" the people we want to help.
Some ideas of things to include in a 'care package' are:
granola bars
gloves
socks
hats
fleece blanket
bottle of water
tissues
soap
chap stick
little cup of fruit & a plastic spoon
wipes
deodorant
Here is a website with lots of other ideas too.
I just pop a few items in a grocery bag and tie it shut. I then store the grocery bags in a plastic box by my seat that I can get to easily while driving.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks! Just be warned - it is very addicting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I did it last year in one day. It was a blast. My kids helped me and it made it a birthday to remember.

      Delete